Tuesday 4 November 2014

Readjusting Goals

There comes a time after a virus, during a setback, that I have to readjust my goals. What was realistic a few weeks ago is no longer so. This isn't an easy process to go through. It hurts to have to go back to the basics, the goals which had faded back into everyday life; I'd still appreciate that I was able to do them but I didn't have to really think about them. But it's something that has to be done in order to start building up to those goals I was working towards before the setback.

So with that in mind I have been readjusting my goals, creating more realistic goals for everyday and longer-term. Of course these are always subject to change. And there's no shame if I don't achieve all of the everyday goals everyday. There's just a sense of achievement when I do complete one or some of those goals.

For now everyday goals include:

  • Getting Dressed. However casually, even if it be in the most pyjama like clothes as long as they're not sold as pyjamas it counts.
  • Brush my hair. This is something that can get neglected for days on end, especially if it doesn't 'look too bad'. It can take a lot of energy and be quite a challenge to hold my arm up to do so.
  • At least an hour's study a day. Maybe not all at once, always with regular rests. But to complete my degree I need to do at least this amount a day 5 days a week. (Technically I should do more but at times of illness like this the bare minimum has to suffice.)
  • Early Nights. This one is a flexible goal, but to be in bed before 10:30pm is currently desired. It allows me almost 12 hours much needed rest!

Longer-term Goals.

  • To help with the washing up at least twice a week. Currently I help when I can but it'd be nice to be able to do it a little more often.
  • To walk up the corner shop on my crutches. Without significant collapse afterwards.
  • To make a weekly trip to the market on my mobility scooter, with Mum. Even if this starts as a monthly or fortnightly trip in order to build up to it. (Currently a little difficult as the mobility scooter needs some repair)
  • To complete my degree and graduate from university. Something I'm working towards everyday!

So those are my main goals for now. This isn't an exhaustive list. But it is a realistic one. Or at least more realistic than my pre-setback goals. Hopefully I can build up to those goals and share them in another post when the time comes and they are once again realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment